Friday, March 30, 2012

Do you have a Diastasis Recti/Abdominal Split ?

So After some searching I have recently found out I have an abdominal split after having two very large babies! 

I am blogging about this because some women don't even realize they have it and without proper exercise these muscles will never "go back." So all these normal crunches and ab exercises I have been doing have actually been making this split worse!!! 

This is a very helpful video to see whether or not you have it-

So I will give you a little summery of how to test to see if you have it.
  1. Lie on the floor knees bent with your pelvic floor lifted, then "crunch" your head up half way.
  2. Take three fingers and place them down the center line from your belly button up.
  3. Run your fingers up and down that line and don't be afraid to sort of push down.
  4. If you can fit all three finger within that "line" at any point, you my friend as well as I have an abdominal split. :[ Boo! 
So I didn't really explain that into full detail so if you want to test yourself, I really recommend watching the video above. 

A good note is that this "split" can be easily closed through proper exercise. Which Youtube as a lot of those.
                Mom's into Fitness YouTube Channel!

After lots of google"ling" I have notice this is a common thing that can occur in both men and women. Both Men and Women through rapid weight gain. Women generally from pregnancy or through the pushing of labor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment