Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Bedroom makeover

Since getting a new size bed, I have been inspired to change the looks up of our bedroom. With the help of the web,  finding some great idea's and giving them a twist of my own has been making my re-do cheap and easy!


I am very excited about these little numbers right here-



After an all day event and a couple of blistered fingers (from the hot glue gun) my DIY project was completed! :] Trust me all that dedication makes up for the price of similar looking decor sold at any store! Any ways the ball to the far right is just a styrofoam ball with twine (from the dollar store) wrapped around it. As an added touch later on down the line I hot glued a "skeleton key" to the middle of it. The ball in the middle is a styrofoam ball as well with paper rosette hot glued to them. 
(Clicking that link will send you to a tutorial on how to make the roses)
The ball to the right I soaked twine in even parts of glue (regular craft glue) and water and wrapped around a balloon. When the twine was completely dried I simply cut the end of the balloon and pulled it out. and wa-la lol! 

And this is what it looks like all together! 


On to my next beauty I would like to share is my shelf-

 This shelf started out with a zebra print tin covering over it. My original plan was to paint over it and distress the finish but, the tin plate was hard to work with. So, I crossed my fingers and prayed something good will come out of prying the tin cover off.... well I couldn't be happier with that decision. It was nice un-touched wood. I diluted black paint  to almost work as a stain and painted the shelf then went back through while the paint was still wet and dabbed it with a paper towel to give a sort of "beat up" look. :] 

And the tea light votives are as well another crafty project of mine. I just hot glued twine to it and twisted it around from top to bottom. As a finishing touch, I fabric painted some twine black tied it around the votive and hot glued on some "skeleton key" charms. 

And the finishing touch, toilet paper roll flowers! 





1 comment:

  1. Hola mija, you are starting to turn into quite the designer. It seems this passion runs in you and I as if it where are life source! Thankfully, we have may years of watching HGTV religiously to help with our love for design :) It brings a smile to my face that you are choosing to think outside of Target and other big box stores when it comes to decorating. I strongly believe that many people lack individuality theses days. Your house should be a representation of you and not an outlet of marketing for a store!!!

    ReplyDelete