Thursday, March 8, 2012

DIY Brother Wall Art!

So recently I came across this wonderful quote by Marc Brown that stated "Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero"  I instantly fell in love and wanted to incorporate this into the boy's room in some sort of way!
So I decided to print it out and frame it! 

  1. I started with a plain black picture frame from the dollar store. 
  2. Then I got out my white paint (I had left over from a previous project) and a paint brush. The paint is just a sample size jar I picked up at Lowes in a white latex color. 


Then I started painting. If you like the "vintage" look don't worry about get too fancy with the paint job! 
don't forget to paint the sides both inside and out!


While the paint was still wet I took birthday streamer (you could even use a paper towel or coffee filter I just had the streamer closer at hand!) and brushed it across the paint to give it a streaky look providing the original color of the frame to peek through.
While waiting for the paint to try I hoped onto Microsoft Works, Word Processor and typed the quote in the size,style and color of font I thought would look best in my boys room! (The font size I choose according to frame size) Before you print make sure you do a print preview to make sure the quote is evenly placed on the "paper." 
I printed out two. One to stain and the other to use a "model" for the frame decorating as the other one was drying. 

I then took a baking sheet and placed the paper inside. After that I poured coffee onto the paper enough to cover it completely. In the picture to right that is what the finished look, looks like before dried. 

While the paper was drying I took the baking of the picture frame and measured a ribbon to  right length I wanted and cut the access. After that hot glue the ribbon in place. 
I took an extra ribbon and just tied a bow in the center of the larger one. 


For added touches to the frame I lined ribbon in areas I wanted to place it hot glued them  on and then cut the extra ribbon away. 
After the paper dried I placed the backing of the frame on top of it and traced around it. Then I cut the extra paper away.

And here is the final look :]

No comments:

Post a Comment