Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Recipe

If you haven't tried Olive Garden's Zuppa Soup yet your totally missing out!! Luckily you stopped here because I have a recipe that tastes just like theirs.

This is going to be a pretty long post, sorry. Well worth it though I promise!!


let me start you off with a picture to tempt you in.. is your mouth watering yet?? If so read on for the recipe.


What you'll need. 
  • 1 lb Spicy Italian Sausage (crumbled)
  • 1/2lb Smocked Bacon (when I made mine with Bacon it didn't really make a difference to the taste so now when I make it I leave it it out, this is optional though!)
  • 1 quart water
  • 2 15 oz Canned Chicken Broth, or one 32 oz Chicken Broth.
  • 2 Garlic Cloves 
  • 1 medium onion chopped 
  • 2 cups chopped kale
  • 1 pack of Dry Hidden Valley Ranch
  • 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream (or one 12oz can of evaporated milk, same taste less calories!!) 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown Sausage 
Cook Bacon

Place the Water, Chicken Broth, Potatoes, Garlic and Onion in a pot. Let it simmer over medium heat until the Potatoes are tender.

Helpful hint cut your potato with an apple slicer it will cut your cutting time in half  :]

While your waiting for your potatoes to soften now is a great time to get the other ingredients ready


I usually start by cutting the Kale. To make the process faster I take a couple of Kale Leafs and pinch them together and chop them from top to bottom. I don't add the part that doesn't have the leafs. 



Now I "crumble" the sausage. To make it easier for myself I take tongs and use the sides to crumble the links. 

Set the Kale and Sausage aside and by now the Broth should be ready for the next step. 


So now it's time to add the Sausage and Bacon (again I don't add bacon to mine because it doesn't add a difference to the taste.) Let the mixture simmer for about 10 min. 

Ok so 10 min has come and gone and now your soup is just about complete. All you have to do now is add the Dry Ranch and Evaporated milk (or Heavy Whipping Cream)

Usually I take the pot off the burner and allow the soup some time to cool off.. you'll notice from all the simmering the soup takes, it ends up being really hot. 


And Wa-la! You have your very own Zuppa Toscana, I highly recommend adding Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits as a side to compliment the soup... Which I will be posting the Copy cat recipe for that shortly, so stay tuned.  





No comments:

Post a Comment